Selling assignment photography
Spent much of the day on a course at the Association of Photographers - a lot of demand with 20 there - far more than I thought. I was relieved not to be the oldest there!
There was lots about cold calling, about which I learned a lot, and about dealing with a 'go see' about which I learned less but when I'm in front of someone I'm rather more confident anyway.
The main points for me were:
- Use email to get something (eg image & link to website) in front of people
- That email's then referred to in a follow up call
- The statistics may seem loaded against (know what they are!) but this is moving into territory with much higher potential gains
- Every failed call is a statistical necessity to earns you ££££'s (always look on the bright side......)
- The pay for editorial shooting is rubbish!
After the session I met a potential assistant who it turns out has telesales experience. Nice unassuming guy, with great enthusiasm. And cool too....